This week we focused on copywriting, looking at the rules of the industry. As well as the skills needed and devices used.
different websites: for this exercise we looked at how different websites use the skill of copywriting.
amazon– advertised items and sales on the front page, trying to entice you to buy. bright colours and images to attract.
the mirror– bold headlines on the front page and lists of headlines to, like amazon, entice and attract.
NOTE: Make sure you understand who your target audience is and create an ad that answers what they are struggling with.
what we can sell online:
what is a copywriter: a copywriter is someone who provides the words used to sell or promote different products, services, ideas, and even people.
headline: an attention grabbing headline, copywriting allows us to craft.
paragraph: should be short and should flow with clear wording and short sentences.
“consumers do no buy products. They buy benefits.”
- use numbers
- be controversial
- appeal to their needs
- appeal to their sense of logic
- make them curious
- use trigger words
websites- analysis: comparing different sites develops my knowledge of the different structures and wording/ colour/images used to grab audiences.
- large logo in corner of the front page
- options bar at the top, bold writing
- large colourful advertisements in the centre
- large colourful images of products available
- links to their helpline and all social media accounts- also with colourful images
- bold writing for their promotion of free delivery on orders over £50 as well as sales
- bold logo
- bright colourful advertisement- multiple
- large range of products shown in a range of colours and frames, with different styles to attract the audiences, unlike eaglemoss who simply had the products shown in boxes
- has lots of advertisements for deals and sales as well as a timer counting down to when the deal ends, to entice the audience
DPD delivery services-
- large bold logo in top corner
- slogan: “our delivery experts” clearly shown at the top of the page to promote their services as good
- small, slightly unnoticeable writing on their option bar and promotional paragraph
- large image of worker, allows audiences to recognise their delivery people
- large red blocks giving information- the colour red is bold making the information noticeable.
- very structured layout
- a range of colours, but mostly white and red, like DPD.
- adverts for prices of delivery, which DPD did also offer on their front page
- multiple colourful images promoting deals, unlike DPD, which only had the one image showing a worker
- advertises clearly their ways of contact, which is not as noticeable on DPD
- has section to find the cost of the parcel you want to send as well as a section to track your parcels, which DPD also advertise.
decluttering exercise: this once again further developed my skills with extracting the more important information.
project managers should review their performances for this year by identifying actual results against the intended results. This review should follow the guidelines provided. The reviews should not be more than three pages long. project managers must provide an overall performance review within those three pages; for more specific submissions the information provided will feed into the annual report, it should be written with an external audience in mind. it is important, given the time constraints of those drafting the annual report, that this guideline be adhered to. Many project managers must address multiple activities.
clichés: a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought.
We looked at some clichés that are common as well as some similes.
(source- your dictionary)
- only time will tell
- nerves of steel
- when life gives you lemons, make lemonade
- there are plenty of fish in the sea
- every cloud has a silver lining
- the calm before the storm
- a diamond in the rough
- all’s well that ends well
- the writings on the wall
- what goes around comes around
- As happy as Larry
- As light as a feather
- As blind as a bat
- As bold as brass
- They fought like cats and dogs
- Well, that went over like a lead balloon
- She is as thin as a rake
- fits like a glove
- as dry as a bone
- as rare as hens teeth
other ways of saying them:
we took the common similes that we found and turned them into our own. This helps us develop our creativity.
- as happy as Larry’s brother Barry
- as light as a poor mans wallet in Waitrose
- as blind as Melania trump
- as bold as the 1980s clothing
- they fought like Freddy and Jason
- well that went over like an anchor on a ship
- she is a thin as a star newspaper
- fits like a
- as dry as a camels tongue
- as rare as a zombie eating lettuce
how can it help you write fiction?
- good warm up
- gets your mind thinking
For these two exercises we had to first make a slogan for the course by using the techniques of making the sentence shorter one word by one word, we then had to find a website that was poorly made, with little information or images and attempt to make it better.
creative writing and journalism course:
FOR THOSE WITH CREATIVE MINDS.
This 2 year course is a great opportunity for those with creative minds. We allow all to express their creativity, imagination and produce originally inventive ideas.
- 7- your endless journey of creativity begins here.
- 6- your journey of creativity begins here
- 5-your creative journey begins here
- 4- your creativity begins here
- 3- creativity begins here
- 2- begin creativity
- 1- creativity
The idea of decreasing headlines down to one single word help me recognise the main and specific point I am trying to get across.
copywriting exercise: helps develop the skill of copywriting by improving the work that’s already out there.
Suzanne Collins website.
the front page is bland and boring, with a small section of text in the corner and an image of Suzanne, which doesn’t show her full face, so therefore viewers wont know who she is. There is a list of all her books down the side of the page with links that take us to a page with more quotes. It is in small text and a boring beige background. As well as a boring unexcitable advertisement for the movie tie in book of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay.
As you continue further down the page we get a picture of the front cover of 4 of her books, including: year of the jungle, the hunger games, the hunger games: catching fire, and the hunger games: Mockingjay. Along with the photos, there are some quotes from people that have reviewed the book, including Stephen king. The text is small and the layout is boring. we don’t get any information about the books or Suzanne Collins herself, instead we get a link to the scholastics website.
- 7- Suzanne Collins, New York Times best seller
- 6- Suzanne Collins, New York best seller
- 5-Collins, New York best seller
- 4-New York best seller
- 3- times best seller
- 2- best seller
By cutting down the headline to one word, it is clear that through the website I would be trying to make the point to viewers that Suzanne Collins is the “best” writer.
(source of information: Wikipedia)
(The website needs more images and information of Suzanne Collins)
Suzanne Collins is an American author, best known as the writer of The New York Times best selling series The Hunger Games and the Underland chronicles. Suzanne started her career in 1991, writing television shows for children on Nickelodeon. Due to the popularity of The Hunger Games series, Collins was named one of Time magazine’s most influential people of 2010 and in March 2012, Amazon announced that Collins was the best-selling Kindle author of all time.
(With the list of books including the hunger games on the front page, I felt that there should be some form of description on each book including a mention about the major motion pictures that the books became. A pitch for the books is needed- source:https://goodinaroom.com/blog/how-to-develop-a-pitch-for-your-screenplay-a-case-study/– “My story is a (genre) called (title) about (hero) who wants (goal) despite (obstacle).” )
THE HUNGER GAMES
The Hunger Games is a dystopian novel following Katniss Everdeen as she battles to the death in the 74th annual games.
The Hunger Games is the first book in the trilogy and was released 14 September, 2008.
The Hunger Games follows Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers for the 74th Hunger Games in place of her younger sister Primrose. She and Peeta (the two tributes of district 12), along with 22 other tributes from the remaining 11 districts, must fight to the death in an arena, until only one remains. When a new rule is set in place, saying that two tributes from the same district can win, Katniss finds Peeta. With all the other tributes dead, the rule is revoked, but both Katniss and Peeta agree not to kill one another, instead Katniss conjures a plan that they both eat poison berries. The game makers stop them before they can. Once the games are over, Katniss is warned by Haymitch (her and Peetas mentor) that some saw the stunt with the berries as an act of defiance not as an act of love, and the government, including President Snow, were unhappy with actions she took.
The Best selling novel was adapted into a feature film in 2012, starring Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, along with Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark. The series then continued, constructing three other films from the continuing two books. The film won the People’s Choice Award for favourite Movie in 2013, as well as rewarding Jennifer Lawrence the MTV Movie Award for Best Female Performance in 2012 and Josh Hutcherson the MTV Movie Award for Best Male Performance in 2012.
THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE
Catching fire is a dystopian novel, continuing the journey of Katniss as she must once again fight for her life in the quarter quell games.
Being the second book in the series, catching fire continues the story on one year after Katniss and Peeta win the games. Now having departed for their victory tour, Katniss is warned by president snow to put out the spark of rebellion across the districts, that she started. Having failed to do this, both head game maker, Plutarch Heavensbee, and President Snow agree, that to punish Katniss and to celebrate the quarter quell of the games (75th anniversary of the hunger games), the tributes will be chosen from the existing pool of victors.
Katniss and Peeta must once again fight to the death in the specialised arena, but what they do not know is that both the tributes and “double agent” Plutarch have conjured a plan to get Katniss out and start the rebellion against the capital.
Suzanne Collins’s gripping dystopian novel “The Hunger Games” and its new sequel, “Catching Fire.” Collins has joined J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer as a writer of children’s books that adults are eager to read.”
Catching fire is the second instalment of the film series, released in November 2013, receiving the MTV Movie Award for Movie of the Year 2014 and rewarding Jennifer Lawrence with the MTV Movie Award for Best Female Performance 2014.
THE HUNGER GAMES:MOCIKINGJAY
“Suspenseful… Collins’ fans, grown-ups included, will race to the end.”
(instead of only advertising one movie tie-in edition, the full set should be advertised, in order to increase sales.)
ORDER NOW! THE BRAND NEW MOVIE TIE-IN EDITIONS BOOK SET FOR THE COMPLETE TRILOGY OF THE HUNGER GAMES!
I was able to give more information on the writers most famous books, whilst also added more images and referring to the motion pictures that they have become. I have also added more information of the writer along with a better image so the reader will know who she is.
what constitutes a story?
- effects the reader- the emotive language used to create the specific tone
- crime- suspense and creating a tense vibe
- characters/ human interest
- where: USA, Russian, north/south Korea
- celebrities/ royalist’s
- natural disasters- war, environmental issues
- nature- animals
- science/ discovery
This week I have been able to develop good knowledge and skills on the process of copywriting and what it requires such as, creating a headline and advertisement styles, as well as being able to analyse the different techniques used and how they are presented. I have also been able to further progress my skill of decluttering both my own and others work. all these skills will impact my work in the future as I can applying them to most work that I do, for example making a headline of a pitch to advertise what I’ve done.